Filipino Jesuits Literary Blog

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Prayer of the Prodigal Son

-eric santillan-
--may 9, 2006--

they all thought you were at home
just waiting.
but i got your message the other day-
the one that says you will be here for me-
and realized you knew where i was
and what i was doing.

you watched from a distance
as i wasted my life away.
you gave me time
and space
knowing perhaps that i had to be far from you
to know how precious you really are to me.

(if you had watched more closely
you would have seen our picture
at my bedside table.
i look at it every night
...and remember.)

please
wait
for me.
and this may take a long time
but i am here too
still
on life's byways and highways
looking for home
looking for you
looking for me.

2 Comments:

  • hello brother/father

    i remember my brother in your words. he writes like you :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:59 PM  

  • the greatest of all languages, in any language, is love, compassion. what a beautiful, heartfelt poem! Makes me wanna cry.

    By Blogger Just a human, at 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home