Filipino Jesuits Literary Blog

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

1st Place (English Poetry)

A Shepherd’s Sonnet

By Jong Oledan

The day You gave me that breathtaking smile

Was the day I began to care living.

For, though I did not mind walking a mile,

From where I came, there was so much lacking.

It happened first on a balding pasture

Where thinning sheep chilled to death while asleep.

Lo! From the half-torn heaven came a choir

Of angels gifting glad tidings to keep.

The guiding Star conquered the cunning Night;

The darkness ended with Your mother’s bid.

Mildly gazing, you took away my fright,

Which, in my eager waiting, shrewdly hid.

I had never thought that moment could be

God’s very self becoming gift to me.

2 Comments:

  • what a beautiful poem, brother.

    your fan, buddy (from awareness101)

    By Blogger Just a human, at 9:48 PM  

  • Very nice composition, I can't help but be inspired.

    If you have time read my short stories http://www.agos-payapa.blogspot.com/#3

    By Blogger eliwingz, at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home