Filipino Jesuits Literary Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Call of the King

This is how it’s going to be.
Come closer then, and listen very well,
if you say you want to follow Me.

Conquest of the whole world and all my enemies
shall come, let the hours tell.
This is how it’s going to be.

Every land, every king will be on their knees
before me. In your soul, faith in my words must swell
if you say you want to follow Me.

You will be on my right hand as we feast on my glory
amidst crying trumpets and triumphant yells.
Surely, this is how it’s going to be.

But before it all happens, you must be ready
to stay with me and guard the place where I dwell
if you say you want to follow Me.

Until you perish, for believe me
Everyone who went before you died and fell
For this is how it shall always be.
Will you still want to follow Me?

(an attempt at making a villanelle. done in 2003)

Ryan Echevarria, SJ aka "Popoy" is an active advocate of peace and justice in the country. He is a full time member of the Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan, an organization of priests, religious and seminarians advocating the same cause. Ryan gives talks and facilitates seminar on Combatting Corruption, Good Governance, Voters' Education and the National Situationer. He maintains a blog, tatlongtala.blogspot.com discussing issues on politics and the Philippine society. Ryan is finishing his Philosophical studies.

4 Comments:

  • oh my gulay. nagulat ako.

    Popoy.

    hahahahaha!

    I can't believe it's posted for everyone to see! hahaha

    Does this give me license to call you Popoy again? ;p

    By Blogger Chinky Ü, at 9:35 PM  

  • thanks jsu, we studied it in juniorate. thanks for the nice words, i will write again if i get the chance...

    chinks, hehehe....

    By Blogger three stars and a sun, at 10:57 PM  

  • Nice literature. Good mix of words and emotions. I like the syle and how you attacked your feelings. This is classic and should be noticed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:06 PM  

  • Great piece of art. I like it because I have not heard this genre of poetry ever since I started making one. This deserves some attention if not a little hype.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home